Friday, 7 March 2014

the frying dutchman london.









A while ago, me and my friend Tom set out on a search for Dutch food in London, and found it in Shoreditch at a stall called The Frying Dutchmen. Dutch food isn't very well known across the world, but it's definitely good stuff, and should be a lot more famous than it is. The Frying Dutchmen sell most of the snack foods that Holland is famous for - from the krokets I used to get when I'd had a few too many Heinekens, to the kaassoufles my vegetarian friend would cook for me on "fry nights", to the chips with peanut sauce I'd share with a guy at 4am on his sofa - with him telling me that I should be eating them the correct way (with peanut sauce and mayonnaise - one step too far for me). 

Even without those memories, I have to recommend this place. You can get great food in Shoreditch on a Sunday, but I bet most people there haven't tried Dutch food, and it's always a good idea to try something new! The best thing about this stall is that it couldn't be more Dutch if it tried - it's actually a bicycle, there's a massive Netherlands flag, a Delft blue patterned table and even the chips come wrapped in Dutch newspaper. 

The service seems different from the other busier stalls, even having a table where you're encouraged to eat is a rarity compared to the other stalls. The owners are always willing to have a chat, especially if you have any stories about being in Holland, the servings are cheap and huge (the stall next door sells sandwiches for £6, come on now...). Tom and I left full and moved on to a bar, where we ordered a pint of Heineken and a pint of Amstel and suddenly realised we might be taking the Dutch thing a bit far...

You can find them on Brick Lane every Sunday, but I'd get there relatively early as they do sell out. Go there, get full and try something new.


8 comments:

  1. This looks really cool! I love finding food places that keep the authentic style of the food they are selling - great little find! x

    amuchprettierpuzzle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh those chips look peng! Def wanna try this place - thanks for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! The best part about living in London is you can track down almost any kind of food you fancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a Dutch snack spot in my town and I used to love all the things... Not the healthiest food, I know, but I couldn't say no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cheese souffle is definitely something my boyfriend would absolutely love - his favourite cheese is gouda. Those chips look soo good! It looks and sounds so authentic, which is always lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool photos! fries look yummy ^^

    weirdoland - pigeongray.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally someone!! I'm a fan of Dutch food, and those pictures just make justice, they make me sooo hungry

    ReplyDelete
  8. MM, I've never actually tried authentic dutch food! This looks really great though, maybe I'll have to give it a try :) xo

    ReplyDelete