7 December 2016

a little visit to maltby street market | london


london lifestyle blog maltby street

london lifestyle blog maltby street

london lifestyle blog maltby street

I've always thought it was a great shame that Borough Market isn't open on a Sunday. Personally, I think Sundays are better days to head off in search of hangover cure street food at a market. In search of doing exactly that, last Sunday I wandered on down to Maltby Street Market in Bermondsey, not far from Tower Bridge. It took me slightly longer than I thought it would do to get there - which is entirely my own fault - as unfortunately Maltby Street market isn't as close to the tube as Borough Market is. To be fair though, as there's some serious food on offer, a little walk won't have done me much harm! 

london lifestyle blog maltby street

london lifestyle blog maltby street

london lifestyle blog maltby street

Apart from both being markets and both serving a pretty impressive selection of food, that seems to be where the comparisons between Borough Market and Maltby Street Market end. Maltby Street Market opened in 2010, is much smaller and also happens to have quite a few less tourists and be less crowded than Borough Market, which is quite a plus point in its favour for those of us nursing sore heads. The market itself is hidden away in a railway viaduct, which also houses a reclamation yard, which can help to explain the unusual timber products, prison cell doors and signs that you'll find dotted around the market as you walk along. 

london lifestyle blog maltby street

london lifestyle blog maltby street

Unbelievably, I didn't actually eat much when I was here. I can't eat bread at the moment, which was almost painful because I don't think there's anything better than eating home baked bread, especially when it's of the sourdough variety. I could have bought nearly every single loaf photographed above, but sadly it wasn't to be. However, next time I go back I'll be all over the halloumi fries from Oli Baba's which were  Also highly recommended is Little Bird Gin

I'll definitely be back to Maltby Street, if you haven't checked it out I really recommend that you do so! It's pretty much foodie heaven hidden away, and perfect for those hungover Sunday walks 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig